This course is designed to build self-confidence and basic skills in a variety of mediums. You may take this course in both grade 9 and grade 10. Please note that projects will be different from year to year. Topics covered will draw from the following:
- Design-explore the elements of art and the principles of design and image development strategies
- Drawing-learn to draw by seeing light, shadow and shape, blind contour, contour drawing, gesture drawing, rendering three-dimensional objects in a two-dimensional space
- Modeling-examine objects in the environment to see how light sources create gradation of value. Study hatching, cross-hatching and stippling techniques
- Painting-an introduction to colour theory and an exploration of colour glazes, paint, watercolours, pastels and other painting media through various styles and techniques
- Printmaking-an introduction through mono and block prints
- Sculpture-explore three-dimensional art with an introduction to clay, glazes, pinch, coil and slab construction. Enjoy working with mixed media such as cardboard, wire, wood and plaster.